In keeping with this morning's theme of classic movies and hurricane-escapism, I present this message from my father—a rather smashing drinking game that should get you rather smashed.
If you're not familiar with The Thin Man, well good God you should be. To aid the ignorant, my pop also sent along this video, which contains many of Nick and Nora's best boozy bits, but it doesn't have my favorite, which runs something like:
Nora: Good morning dear. Would you like some orange juice?
Nick: It's too early for orange juice. Let's have a drink.
The Thin Man Drinking Game
- Take a drink every time Nick or Nora takes a drink.
- Take a drink every time Nick or Nora denies that the other is his/her spouse.
- Take a drink every time Nick or Nora denies that Nick is still a detective.
- Take a drink every time one of Nora’s relatives prevents Nick from drinking.
- Take a drink every time anyone (including Nora) takes a drink that Nick prepared for himself.
- Take a drink every time Nick embarrasses Nora or Nora embarrasses Nick.
- Special “coup de grace” rule: take a drink every time Nick goads someone into a reaction by implying they committed the crime
- Special "film geek" rule: take a drink whenever a character actor appears for the first time if you can name him/her and at least one other movie in which he/she appears.
- Special "hopeless romantics" rule: take a drink every time Nick or Nora convincingly professes true love for the other.
- Special "who’s in my house" rule: take a drink every time Nick’s old friends hold a party at Nick & Nora’s house without permission.
WARNING: It is not recommended that you apply all nine rules in viewing all five movies. They have been designed with the intention of there being an inverse relationship between # of rules and # of movies. This can be modified according to participants' alcohol tolerance and willingness to pass out before the end.